Ihr Warenkorb ist leer
How to use Ponytail Extensions
How to use Ponytail Extensions
What is a Clip-in Ponytail?
Clip-in Ponytail hair extensions are basically ready made Ponytails that are quickly attached to your own hair. They are used as a DIY enhancement to either add thickness, length or colour to all sorts of hair up styles. You can find many varieties on the market today including human, synthetic and pre-styled pieces depending on the look you are trying to achieve and your budget.
Here at Cliphair, all of our hair extensions including our Ponytails are 100% Remy, Human hair. We prefer to use human hair as it lasts much longer and gives a far more natural finish. Even if human hair can seem more expensive on the initial purchase its a great investment as it can last up to a year if not more with good care. Human hair extensions can be washed, heat styled, dyed and customized giving you the freedom to personalize your ponytail. With synthetic alternatives not only are you restricted to one style but they usually need replacing after only a few uses costing you more in the long run.
In Today's blog...
As summer approaches, to keep cool us girls usually prefer to keep our hair up and out of our face. Even though this can sometimes feel like a compromise in the glam department, it really doesn’t have to be! Whether you want a super thick up do like Ariana Grande or a sleek, long pony like the Kardashian sisters, using Hair Extensions or a Clip-in Ponytail gives you endless possibilities to enhance your hair up styles and they could not be easier to apply. Here at Cliphair we have a stunning collection of Ponytail hair pieces to do exactly that, in today's blog we are going to tell you how to apply them, how to look after them and how they can be used to create so much more than just Ponytails.
How to apply a Clip-in Ponytail
All you need is a hairband, some hair grips and your Clip-in Ponytail Hair extension!
- Put your own hair up into a Ponytail: First you need to make the base for the ponytail clip to attach too. Tie your own hair into a ponytail in the place that you would like your hair to sit in for example: high, low or mid.
- Slide the piece into your hair: Using the slide clip attached to the top of the hair piece press this down into the top of your hairband in your own Ponytail, making sure the clip is all the way inside and hidden.
- Secure with the ribbons: With the 2 ribbons found on the sides of the hairpiece, wrap them around the hairband going underneath the ponytail first then over the top. Continue to wrap until the ribbon needs to be tied, aim to tie the ribbon underneath the Ponytail so that it can be easily hidden.
- Hide the attachments: Once the Clip-In Ponytail is secured you now need to hide the seam of the hair extension. Taking a inch thick section of hair from underneath the ponytail, use this to wrap and cover the seams and ribbons. When the hair is fully wrapped around and covering all attachments, firmly pin into place underneath the hair with a few hair grips.
Video Tutorial of How to Apply and Style a Clip-in Ponytail
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to apply a Clip-in Ponytail and how to use it to create other styles including Buns and Fishtail Braids. The model in this video has chosen to have her style in a high position but feel free to lower the look to create a more laid back vibe, you can even experiment by moving it to the side! There really are no rules and its super fun experimenting with different methods to find your favorite that works best for you.
How to look after a Clip-In Ponytail
Looking after any Hair extensions correctly is vital in maintaining the quality, shine and shape. Neglected hair can appear wispy, dry and frizzy which we can all agree is the opposite of what we want when using extensions to improve our precious locks. Below we've listed some super important care tips to help you preserve the lusciousness in your product and also how to avoid any faults along the way.
- ONLY use a hair extensions friendly brush to brush your Ponytail Clip-in. Brushes with bobbles on the ends can interfere with the seams and attachments causing loose threads and shedding. Stick to brushes like our Cliphair Detangling Brush or Tangle Teezers.
- WASH your Ponytail every 15-20 uses. Over washing it will dry the hair out and cause unnecessary harm to the netting and clip. As the Ponytail doesn't come into direct contact with the scalp or roots like other hair extensions it is not exposed to sweat or heat so it will stay cleaner for longer.
- USE only sulfate free or Alcohol free products on the hair. Sulfates and Alcohol are classic ingredients used to clean hair and skin however they are very harsh on hair extensions and remove all natural oils. To keep the hair feeling soft and silky stick to Hair Extensions friendly products,
- NEVER sleep or wash with your Clip-in Ponytail attached to your hair. This is too protect your own hair and scalp from damage. Make sure all hair pieces are removed before bed and bath time.
- PROTECT the hair from heat by using a good Heat Protection Spray. Too much straightening or curling can dry any hair type out, using heat protection creates a barrier between the hair and the heat which prevents the hair from becoming weak and brittle.
Are Ponytail Hair extensions suitable for thin hair?
When choosing your ponytail hair extension its important to consider the weight and whether your own hair is strong enough to support it. At Cliphair we have a very voluminous and thick Ponytail that weighs 120g which is fantastic for most hair types but customers with very thin or fine hair may find this a little to heavy to hold. The good news is you can still achieve the same look by using a full head set. For fine or thin hair we would advise using Seamless hair extensions to create hair up looks as the seams lay flat to the head meaning they are easily hidden.
Using Clip-In Hair Extensions to create a Ponytail
Below we have an amazing video made by Lisa Curtis from Gemini Styling, who is an award-winning bridal hair stylist. She has created a Ponytail using our Cliphair Seamless Clip-Ins. The style is a voluminous Ponytail wrapped with gorgeous Dutch braids, perfect for any occasion!
Tips for using Clip-Ins to create ponytail looks
- CLIP your hair extensions in the direction that you will be styling your hair. For example, if you are wearing your hair up attach the clip-ins in an upwards direction underneath the Ponytail so that they lay flat against your head and do not bulk out.
- LEAVE out the side pieces. Its totally fine if you cannot fit all the pieces in when creating hair up styles, when the hair is pulled away from the face its more difficult to hide the pieces. You may find it easier to leave the sides of your hair free from extensions.
- DOUBLE up your ponytails. It is easier to make 2 ponytails and merge them together when using clip ins, this will give you a neater finish on the hair that is on show.
- BACKCOMB the root before attaching the clip-ins. This will create a little nest for the snap clips to cling too making the hair more secure and less likely to slip.
Ponytail Hair Extensions FAQs
- Can you wear Ponytail Hair Extensions everyday? Depending on the weight of the Ponytail and on your own hair type will determine the amount it should be worn. For Cliphair Clip-in Ponytails we advise wearing them no more than 1-2 times per week as they are a luscious 120g which can be slightly heavy for finer haired users.
- Can you curl Ponytail Hair Extensions? Absolutely! As all of our hair is 100% human it can be curled, straightened, waved and styled in any way you like. Just remember to use Heat Protection spray and avoid temperatures above 190 degrees.
- Can you wash Ponytail hair extensions? Of course! We advise washing your Ponytail every 15-20 uses as they will not get dirty as quick as other hair extensions as they sit above the root. Always use Sulfate free shampoos and give the hair a good condition after it has been washed.
- Can you dye Ponytail hair extensions? As our hair is 100% it can be dyed and toned. However, just like with our own hair any chemical service can effect the quality and it will slightly decrease the life span. We advise never to bleach or lighten any hair extensions, only dye or tone the hair darker with a semi-permanent dye for the best results.
- How long do Ponytail Hair extensions last? With good care your Clip-in ponytail could last you up to a year! As a general rule the more you use hair extensions the quicker they will deteriorate, so if your Ponytail is only worn on special occasions you will have a long and happy life together!
If you have any questions about human hair extensions, get in contact with our team for help. And don’t forget to hashtag #WearCliphair on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter to show off your looks.
Are you a natural redhead - or thinking about going red? Either way, did you know that there’s a whole range of products out there specifically designed for all of your beauty needs? I put together a list of products created with redheads in mind. Ready to find your new must-haves? Reading Time: 9 Minutes
Another year, another fall approaches. As the leaves turn brown, more and more women choose to give their mane a warm, coppery kick. Some people are naturally born with red hair, and some others make it their signature look with a dye job - it doesn’t matter if by birth or with a little cosmetic aid, if you’re a redhead this is the place for you. Reading Time: 3 Minutes
Redheads have been around for a very long time, and although we now proudly celebrate their natural beauty, fire-coloured tresses have a long history of mixed feelings. What’s the truth behind being a redhead throughout the centuries? Let’s have a look at red hair’s history together. Reading Time: 6 Minutes
Subscribe for Newsletter
The latest news, events and stories delivered right to your inbox