Ihr Warenkorb ist leer
Summer Hairstyles: 7 of the Cutest Updos to Try This Summer
Wondering what’s the best way to wear your hair this summer? The updo is the ultimate cute summer hairstyle.
Why? No one wants long, sweaty hair sticking to their neck in the heat. Coupled with other hot weather hair woes – we’re looking at you frizz and grease - a summer updo is the COOLEST way to wear your hair this season… in more ways than one.
But what types of updos are in? And how do you even style a summer updo? Luckily, there are plenty of simple and sexy ways to wear your hair up this summer.
Our top 7 favourite updo styles, complete with how to style guides, promise to get you through summer in style. Your cool neck can thank us later…
INDEX (click on the headings to visit that section)
- The Messy French Twist Updo
- The Sleek High Ponytail
- The Romantic Curly Updo
- The Boho Braided Bun
- The 90s Double Bun
- The Low Rolled Updo
- The Balloon Ponytail
For effortless, undone elegance, look no further than the French twist.
Brigitte Bardot did it with a messy beehive in the 60s. Madonna did a punk version in the 80s. Millennium babes such as Amber Heard and Scarlett Johansson are still at it – seen frequently rocking a sleek, yet still sexily-undone version for the modern day.
Do you have fine, short or medium length hair? The French twist is for you! The lighter your hair texture, the easier it is to maintain volume and staying power.
How To Style:
- Separate the front section of your hair from the crown to your fringe and backcomb
- Smooth back with your fingers for a tousled effect
- Gather all your hair in one hand and twist the hair upwards until it turns in on itself against the head
- Secure with bobby pins, a claw clip or statement barrette clips. Don’t worry about the strands falling out – the messier the better!
- Finish with plenty of hair lacquer to secure the style
2. The Sleek High Ponytail
A modern, sophisticated updo, the sleek high ponytail is super easy to recreate. Plus, it’s a stylish solution to a sweaty, sticky neck this summer. Especially for those with long, thick hair.
Love the glamorous Latina or Italian look? Those with dark hair colors look stunning rocking this style, thanks to olive skinned beauties such as J-Lo and Arianna Grande claiming the high pony as their signature hairstyle.
Need some inspo on how to achieve this super-chic hair wrapped ponytail? Our blog feature some of the best hair wrapped ponytails to try out in 2021 for a fun and super stylish look.
How To Style:
- Blow dry your tresses poker straight - straighten using hair irons if necessary
- Scrape hair into a high ponytail – spray down any flyaways with hair lacquer
- Wrap a section of hair around the hairband to conceal and pin underneath
- Team with a figure hugging, bodycon dress and JAWS. WILL. DROP.
Tip: Not blessed with long, thick hair? Try a ponytail hair piece instead! Check out our glossy, swishy, 100% natural Remy hair pieces.
3. The Romantic Curly Updo
Romantic updos are MADE for curly hair. Your texture, volume and coils effortlessly hide all the clips, pins and hair ties, resulting in an updo that appears to be artfully perching on top of your bonce.
Best for girls blessed with afro or natural curls, the romantic updo beautifully encapsulates an easy-breezy summer hairstyle. Take notes from Rihanna and Andra Day for 90s RnB video vibes.
How To Style:
- Pull hair into a loose, high ponytail and secure with a scrunchie
- Loosely pin a selection of curls over the scrunchie to conceal
- Leave plenty of natural curls cascading down over the bobble
- For a sexy undone vibe, pull out a few strands around the hairline and nape of the neck
Tip: Why not add a patterned headscarf for a funky finish?
4. The Boho Braided Bun
You know the one. The braided crown + messy bun that appears all over your Pinterest feed year, after year. It never goes out of a style and why should it? This festival, beach and wedding staple is the ULTIMATE summer hairstyle for all kinds of hot weather festivities.
Sun-kissed, highlighted hair colors, including balayage and ombre, look AMAZE with this hairstyle. Why? The braided tresses showcase your multitude of hues beautifully.
How To Style:
- Part hair into your chosen parting and create a French braid on either side of your head
- Secure with a bobble at the nape of your neck
- Pinch and pull at the braids for a messier look
- Plait the remaining hair then wrap into a bun
- Secure bun with bobby pins
Tip: Style with a side parting for formal occasions. Alternatively, channel Sienna Miller and part your hair in the centre for all the rock chick feels.
5. The 90s Double Bun
Generation Z take note. This is the ONLY way to rock your hair this summer. Ever since Kendal Jenner sported two cute double buns at Coachella 2016, all the hippest influencers have been copying the 90s hairstyle come festival season.
Perfect for ALL hair types, from curly to straight hair, this funky summer hairstyle offers a cool alternative to the obvious boho hairstyles that appear summer after summer.
How To Style:
- Pull hair up into high bunches
- Wrap each section of hair into a bun and secure
- Finish off with silver eyeliner for a 90s space-chick vibe
Tip: Braid your bunches before you secure into a bun for an alternative take on the style!
6. The Low Rolled Updo
Another one for those with shorter or finer hair. This simple updo looks like you’ve made an effort, when in reality it takes a few seconds to achieve!
Blonde haired celebs, such as Charlize Theron, Scarlett Johansson and Reese Witherspoon, LOVE this style for award ceremonies. But don’t fret, it’s super easy to create and totally works as a simple, everyday updo.
There are LOADS of ways to create this style but we’ve chosen the quickest for all the busy babes out there!
How To Style:
- Pull hair into a low ponytail
- Pull apart the hair above the bobble to create a gap
- Roll hair in on itself and pull the ponytail through the gap
- Twist remaining hair around your finger then pin to the base of your head
- Pull out strands from the rolled section and around the hairline for a sexy, undone look
7. The Balloon Ponytail
The balloon ponytail or otherwise known as the Bubble Braid is a high-fashion upgrade to your regular pony. Frequently seen in glossy magazine photoshoots and on glamorous celebs such as Kim Kardashian, Priyanka Chopra and more recently Griff, the balloon ponytail is modern, sophisticated and ultra edgy.
Best achieved with long hair (check out our 100% natural Remy hair extensions or ponytail hair pieces if you’re not blessed with long locks) ample length is needed to create a cascading ‘balloon’ effect.
How To Style:
- Pull hair into a high or medium ponytail
- Add hair elastics (that match your hair color) all the way down the length of your pony
- Fluff out each segment to create a ‘balloon’ look
- Can be worn sleek or messy – depending on the occasion
Need more information on how to achieve this Balloon Ponytail? check out our Bubble Braid blog for an in-depth guide on how to really get this eye-catching look.
Now you know how to create several updos why not take a peek at our hair extensions to add that extra length and volume to take this look to the next level.
We've got a wide range of lengths and over 50 shades to choose from including our New Balayage colors! We've also got all the accessories and haircare products you need to apply and maintain them here. Whatever your after you will find it in our selection and remember if you need any help choosing the right ones for you feel free to ask an expert and use our FREE Color Match and Advice service by clicking the button below
You might be interested in....
Can You Believe Crimped Hair is Back? Here’s How to Wear it Now
How to use Ponytail Hair Extension
Subscribe for Newsletter
The latest news, events and stories delivered right to your inbox