How To Use Root Color Spray To Revive Your Tresses
by BRENDA L. / MAY 30, 2023
Reading Time: 5 Minutes
Root color sprays have been around for quite a few years, but recently they gained even more fame – especially since celebrity hairstylists ‘fessed that this type of product it’s actually very common in their profession. Sometimes celebrities get real busy between one job and another, and it becomes quite difficult for them to keep up with hair coloring appointments – even more so if you consider that their specialist hair stylists might be abroad or busy with other elite clients half of the time. So what’s the big deal about the root touch up spray, and does it actually work? If you're looking for a quick and easy way to revive your hair color, this product might be just what you need – and yes, it does work wonders! From roots to grey hairs, a good root color spray can help you freshen up your hairstyle and buy yourself some time if you had to cancel your salon appointment. In this blog, I’ll explain how to use a root color spray, why it's so popular, and recommend some top products for you to try it yourself!
How To Use Root Color Spray
Using root color spray is simple and straightforward – it works in a way that is quite similar to dry shampoo! Here are the basic steps:
- Choose a root color spray that matches your hair color. This is obviously an important step as you don’t want your roots to stand out even more, but you want to achieve a seamless blend. If you're not sure which shade to choose, go for a slightly lighter shade to avoid a dark, unnatural look!
- Shake the can well before use. Usually, this gesture is good custom with any aerosol products – but always follow the instructions on the packaging for more precision and clarity.
- Hold the can about 10-12 inches away from your hair and spray the product onto your roots, focusing on any areas where you have grey hairs or visible roots.
- Wait a few minutes for the product to dry before touching your hair. Usually, about 10 minutes should be enough for the spray to settle in.
- Style your hair as usual.
Keep in mind that these instructions aren’t a “one size fits all” guide, and each brand may have their own “how to use” guidelines – for example, a powder-based root touch up product won’t follow these steps. On top of that, please be mindful – this isn’t a permanent solution and it cannot replace the results obtained by getting your color done by a professional – but it’s a quick fix that can help you maintain your hair color fresh and vibrant for a few days before you get it dyed professionally.
Why Is Root Color Spray So Popular?
Root color spray started out as a “last minute” solution, but it has become increasingly popular in recent years as the formulas available on the market have become better and better – offering a quick and easy way to cover up regrowth and grey hair in case of necessity. Perhaps you’re on holiday and you don’t want to let a hairdresser that you don’t know touch your hair; or maybe you’ve been unwell for an extended period of time and couldn’t go to get your hair done; or even in case your trusty hair stylist needed to cancel your appointment because of an emergency. All of these scenarios may have you in need of a quick, affordable touch up before going to book an appointment at the salon.
Some people also use this type of spray to fill in patchy areas on their scalp where the hair is more sparse, for example in case of hair thinning or loss caused by hormonal changes, pregnancy and so on.
The Best Root Color Spray Products To Try
If you're interested in trying out root color spray for yourself, here are some top products to consider:
- L'Oreal Paris Magic Root Cover Up Spray: This root color spray is available in a range of nine shades and offers full coverage that lasts until your next shampoo - easy to use and pretty affordable, it’s a great choice for those that are new to this type of product.
- Oribe Airbrush Root Touch-Up Spray: This spray is formulated with micro-pigments that blend seamlessly with the rest of your hair color, and it also contains nourishing ingredients like keratin and hydrolyzed quinoa for a silky, shiny finish. The product also works to absorb oil in excess, helping you maintain a fresh hair look in between salon appointments.
- Color WOW Root Cover Up: This powder-based root cover up is water-resistant and offers buildable coverage that lasts until your next shampoo. Free from parabens, sulfates, and synthetic fragrances, the formula makes the perfect ally for those wearing permanent hair extensions too! Color WOW Root Cover Up is available in a inclusive range of shades that also targets red hair.
Is Root Touch Up Spray Bad For Your Hair?
No, these solutions are perfectly safe to try, unless you have any allergies to the ingredients used in the formula. Some of these products are also not recommended for those who experienced negative reactions to black-henna based products in the past. If you suffer from allergies and are unsure, consult your general practitioner and stylists before trying your product of choice.
Do I have your attention? Root color spray can be a great way to revive your tresses and cover up any visible roots or grey hairs whilst you wait to be in the hands of your trusty hairdresser once again. If you’re looking for a quick fix on the go to keep your color vibrant and lively and hide any unwanted regrowth, you can give your mane a fresher appearance by using this handy product!