Your Cart is empty
How to Put in Clip-in Hair Extensions
How to Put in Clip-in Hair Extensions
Over the years hair extensions, much like many hair and beauty trends have evolved. They are now a lot easier to use and are even less expensive meaning your ‘Hair Goals’ aren’t just a distant dream anymore. ANYONE can have long, beautiful thick hair with the help of hair extensions no matter their hair type or budget. There are 2 types: Clip in hair extensions and Permanent. Permanent hair extensions stay in the hair for a number of weeks and are applied by a stylist, Clip in extensions can be applied on your own hair, by yourself, in a matter of minutes. Due to their lower price, super quick application and the freedom to remove and apply whenever you like, Clip-ins are for sure the most sought-after extension method. In today’s blog we will guide you on how to apply human hair clip in extensions, which ones are best for your specific hair type and where to find them!
First of all, lets establish what Clip ins actually are and what they consist of. Even though there are many variations of clip in extensions they all have two main things in common, the hair and the clips! A clip-in hair extension is simply a weft of hair woven or glued onto a seam that has small, metal snap clips attached ready to fit to the natural hair. You can find all different thickness’s, lengths, colours and shapes to fit your desired look.
Click on the link to check our Clip-In hair extensions.
When choosing hair extensions, you should always go for Remy, Human hair. ‘Remy’ means the cuticles in the hair shaft have been aligned to face the same direction which keeps the hair silky, shiny and prevents tangling. Hair that is not Remy will have a dull appearance and will not last very long. Human hair is also the top quality you can buy as it will blend naturally with your own hair and gives you far more freedom to personalise and clean your extensions. Synthetic hair extensions have a much shorter life span, look unnatural and cannot be customised. Even though synthetic hair is usually cheaper you will need to buy more often, investing in a good quality set of Remy, Human hair extensions can last you 1-2 years if looked after well. Read more about this topic in our "Battle of hair extensions: Syntethic hair vs human hair" as we outline the differences between the two.
At Cliphair, all of our hair extensions are made from 100% Human, Remy hair to ensure top quality products that will withstand the test of time.
Applying Clip in extensions is much easier than it sounds it just takes a little practice. There are a few rules that should be followed which will massively help you to put them in and make sure they stay put.
1. Always section your hair neatly into rows before applying your clip ins. This will keep other hair out the way of the clips and stop it tangling or pulling.
2. Avoid putting the clip ins near your hairline or parting, putting them too close to this area will make them visible to others. Leaving a 1–2-inch gap around your hairline and parting ensures your extensions stay your little secret
FUN FACT: Us hairstylists call this area where hair extensions shouldn’t go the ‘Red Zone’.
3. Give the roots of your hair some backcombing before attaching your clips. This creates a little nest for the clips to attach too so they do not fall out. This is especially important to do in fine, straight hair that tends to be very soft.
4. If there are more than one pieces in your clip in set remember to spread them evenly around your head to avoid a heavy line showing the extensions. If all the pieces are placed directly on top of each other there will be no layered effect which will make the extensions obviously stand out.
5. Start from the bottom and work your way up. It’s much easier to start from the under parts of your hair and work towards the crown.
See below our Cliphair tutorial of a full head clip in application
Getting your Remy Clip in hair extensions to look naturally blended with your own hair is pretty easy! The main thing is to choose the correct set for your own hair type first. For instance, if your hair is very thick and you want to create length, a thin lightweight hair extension will not be thick enough to blend with your own hair, its likely you will see a bulk line which does not look natural. Choose extensions that have a similar thickness to your own hair for the best finish. To blend hair extensions that don't blend read our artice on "How Do You Blend Hair Extensions That Don’t Match?".
When applying clip in extensions to short hair you need to make sure you are using thick clip in hair extensions. This rule applies when the hair is of an average thickness, for example taking a blunt, thick bob to a long length. This will blend out the transition line naturally leaving little to no trace of the hair extensions!
Ultra-Volume Clip In Full Head Set (240-300G)
For pixie cuts or have that is very short, you may not be able to use clip ins. For a good result with clip in extensions you need to have 4-5 inches of length to hide the clips.
The video below made by anniecherrymakeup shows how to cleverly disguise hair extensions in short, thick hair.
Hiding the seams of clip ins in thin hair can be tricky but with a few clever tricks its possible. Make sure you have a lightweight, seamless clip in set. Seamless extensions have a soft, pliable silicone seam that lays flat to the head which is perfect for anyone who has thin/fine hair as it is much more discreet. Some thick, lace sewn extensions can appear bulky or stand out in fine hair.
Curling the hair once your clip ins are applied is another great way to blend them with your own hair. Not only does this disguise your extensions but curly or wavy hair also appears much thicker, so this is a great way to add volume to your hair even when you’re not wearing extensions! Read our article on "Everything about seamless hair extensions".
Click here to check our full collection of Seamless Hair Extensions.
To ensure a long and healthy life for your new hair extensions you need to look after them well. If you choose the recommended Human, Remy hair extensions maintaining them is pretty easy there are just a few changes you will need to make to your products.
- Only use a tangle teezer or Cliphair detangling brush on your extensions. Brushes with bobbles on the bristles or fine-toothed combs can interfere with the seams causing shedding and damage.
- Only use Sulphate and Alcohol-free shampoo and conditioner on your extensions. Sulphate and Alcohol are both very drying ingredients that will decrease the life span of your extensions by drying them out.
- Always use heat protection spray before styling your clip ins. This will prevent the heat from your tools damaging the hair shaft by adding a protective layer onto the hair. We recommend using this on your own hair too!
- Always brush your clip ins before you wash or wear them. Washing the extensions whilst they are knotty will make the knots even harder to get out which in turn can result in shedding.
For even more Clip in hair extensions advice on how to wash clip in hair extensions check out our article "How to wash all types of human hair extension".
Now you know how to Apply and Maintain your new clip in extensions why not take a look at our huge collection here at Cliphair! We have sets for all hair types, lengths and over 50 shades to choose from.
If you needed any further persuasion check out this gorgeous Clip in hair extensions before and after transformation below which shows just how easy it is to achieve the hair of your dreams!
Should you need any further advice on choosing your perfect clip ins, feel free to get in touch with one of our extension’s experts. We can guide you through the entire process and answer any questions you may and even provide you with a FREE colour match and consultation.
You might be interested in....
Subscribe for Newsletter
The latest news, events and stories delivered right to your inbox