How to Do a Slick Back Bun Using Ponytail Extensions
by BRENDA L. / JUN 8, 2023
Reading Time: 5 Minutes
Sleek and polished hairstyles – including the universally loved slick back bun – are still trending, making their way well into summer 2023 after their huge success and peak popularity over the past year or so. This classy option makes the perfectly sophisticated look to achieve an effortlessly elegant vibe, particularly in vogue during the hottest season of the year! Using ponytail extensions is the quickest and simplest way to achieve the look. Wanna know how? In this blog post, I’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of creating a slick back bun using human hair extensions: from the necessary tools to styling tips, you'll learn everything you need to know to achieve the perfect sleek bun hairstyle.
What You Need To Achieve The Look
Before running straight to the styling process, let's gather the necessary tools to recreate a slick back bun. Here's what you'll need:
- Wrap around ponytail extensions: Cliphair’s ponytail hair extensions are made of the finest human hair, making it a statement piece that will be able to make you look put together and effortlessly elegant in just a few minutes. Available in a multitude of shades including highlights and an assortment of natural blondes, vibrant brunettes and fiery red colours, this hair accessory will allow you to play around with many different styles. Find your perfect match among three different lengths!
- Hairbrush: Opt for a brush with fine bristles to smooth out your hair and extensions – boar bristle or a detangling brush are the ideal tools to get a shiny, soft and sleek finish in your hairstyle.
- Elastic hair ties: Use strong, elastic hair ties that can hold the bun securely in place – avoid the type with a metal clip or created from a material that is harsh on your hair’s cuticles. Nylon hair ties are a great option!
- Bobby pins: You’ll need them to help secure any loose ends and hold the bun firmly.
- Hairspray: Arm yourself with a strong-hold hairspray that will keep your sleek bun intact throughout the day. Alternatively, you could use a wet-effect gel or pomade – whatever floats your boat.
The steps from here on are quite simple, but if you’d like you can start practising before making this your go-to style. Here’s what you need to do:
- Brush your natural hair: get rid of knots and tangles by gently brushing your hair from roots to ends; you want to achieve a perfectly smooth canvas to work with.
- Attach the ponytail extensions: grab your Remy hair extensions and brush them gently; then, tie it up in a bun (or a normal ponytail) at the desired height. Proceed to secure the ponytail to your natural hair by using the built-in clip and tie the wrap-around mechanism, following the provided instructions; last step, use the bobby pins to secure the wrap-around piece, and you’re all set!
- Blend the extensions: now it’s time to make sure that your ponytail looks as sleek and silky as possible. Carefully brush your extensions to create a seamless and flowy result.
- Fix the hairstyle: spritz your hair and extensions with hairspray to provide some grip and control for the slicked-back style.
Creating The Slick Back Bun
Now that you have prepared your hair and extensions, it’s time to create the slick back bun! Follow these steps for flawless results:
Gather Your Hair And Extensions
After you brush them, it’s time to hold your hair and extensions backward, making sure that all the strands are gathered together, smooth, and tangle-free.
Wrap The Ponytail On Itself
This can be done in different ways. For example, you may want to give it a trendy Y2K twist and create a spiky bun, or you may want to give it a knot shape. The choice is yours! Read more about the spiky bun on our dedicated blog: How To Do A Spiky Bun, The Retro Glam Updo Of The Stars.
(Optional) Tug The Bun Gently
For a fluffier, bigger look, tug on the bun slightly to create a fuller and more voluminous look!
Finishing Touches And Styling Tips
Now it’s time to make it look absolutely perfect, and thankfully, there are different accessories that you can resort to for this! A flawless finish for a sleek back bun depends on two big factors: the sleek effect and ultimate shine. Smoothing down any flyaways can be done with the help of strong-hold hairspray, gel or pomade.
Adding shine and moisture to your tresses can easily be done with the help of the Moisture Lock Spray, a delicate and lightweight mist that seals the cuticles and helps your strands retain hydration for longer – ensuring ultimate shine and smoothness.
If you have baby hairs, grab a soft-bristle toothbrush and your hair gel to style it however you prefer. If you need some inspiration, here’s a blog for you: No Problem, Baby! AKA: How To Tame Baby Hair & Edges In Style.
The Perfect Sleek Bun
Glamorous and chic, this hairstyle works in harmony with your face’s shape for every occasion. Whether it’s going to be date night, a day lounging under the sun or a giggly brunch with your friends, rest assured you’ll be able to make every outfit shine with radiancy thanks to this elegant hairdo. You can pair it with bangs, use a youthful middle part to keep it trendy, or even accessorise it to make it match to your clothes. Remember to practice and experiment to find the techniques that work best for your hair type and desired level of sleekness!
The slick back bun is a classy, fashionable hairstyle that can be easily achieved with the help of the wrap around ponytail, the set of hair extensions that you can’t miss out on. Flexible and versatile, this type of hair extensions can be used to create lots of different hairstyles – including bubble ponytails, fierce braids, and glamorous updos to look super-trendy even during a heatwave. Get your Cliphair wrap around ponytail hair extensions set now!